A two-car crash in Revere yesterday is under investigation. The driver of a Volkswagen was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital after he was hit by a drunk driver in a Lincoln. Both the driver and passenger of the Lincoln were reported to be drunk but only one of them was arrested as the other fled the scene. The extent of the injured man’s condition is unknown but the jaws of life were needed to extricate him from his vehicle.
Drinking and driving, as well as fleeing the scene of an accident, is illegal and can result in arrest, fines and/or imprisonment. Although it is sometimes impossible to prevent an accident from happening, especially when a drunk driver is involved, it is important to take caution and be a defensive driver. In order to protect yourself from drunk drivers on the road, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
• Always wear your seatbelt and make sure your passengers do the same.
• Be an alert driver and try to stay away from other drivers who appear to be intoxicated or distracted and/or are swerving.
• Stop driving if you are tired or weary. This not only causes you to be a potentially unsafe driver, but you also might not notice drunk drivers around you.
• Make sure your car’s safety features have recently been inspected and are fully functioning.
• Be aware of what time you are driving. In 2004, 39.6% of drunk driving accidents happened between 10pm and 2am, and 37.5% of drunk driving accidents happened on Friday or Saturday nights.
Our lawyers have over 25 years of experience representing car accident victims throughout Massachusetts. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have a question on a case or would like a free consultation.
Drunk driving likely cause of 2-car crash in Revere, 7-News whdh.com, March 1, 2011
How to Protect Yourself from Drunk Drivers, DrunkDriving.com
The Massachusetts car accident lawyers at Altman & Altman can advise you if you have been injured on the road.